|FILE : Boston Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum 3|
|TITLE : The Baptism of St John of Damascus|
LOCATION: Boston Isabella Steward Gardner Museum inv. nn.C 30 s24 e C 30 s25
DIMENSIONS: diptych 112 x 61 cm. (every one panel)
PROVENANCE: From A. Pickert Nuremberg 1875. Originally the panels belonged to the St. John of Danascus window in the transept of the Milan Cathedral (nVI window). The two panels have been detached and sold in occasion of the restorations made by Giuseppe and Pompeo Bertini, in the period between 1861 (when the brothers introduced to the Cathedral Deputies the design of the new stained glass organisation), and 1866 (when the Kensington Museum acquired by the Bertini’s Studio the panel Testis est mihi.
CRONOLOGY : 1479 1516 ab.
AUTHOR: Niccolò da Varallo (documented)
PATRONAGE: The Guild of the Chemists
SUBJECT/S : The Baptism of the Saint
CRITICAL NOTES: As the others episodes of the St. John window this
scene reveals the narrative style peculiar to the Niccolò da Varallo. The artist
offers a delicious portrait of the domestic life. About the style of Niccolò da
Varallo see Milano Duomo
CONDITION: In fairly good conditions although several leads and a dark varnish. The faces are repainted. The inscription is lost. Restored in 1996.